Thursday 27 November 2008

Referee School – Session 2

There are times in life when you simply don’t fancy doing something. Could be the weekly shop, making dinner or even a shower after an evening of football. It’s what I like to refer to as an ‘Urgggg’ moment – when even the thought of it is enough to put you off, resulting in you desperately searching for a good excuse not to do it like, ‘It looks a bit cold’ or ‘I’ll do it right after X factor.’ Yesterday evening I was hit with the urgggg’s big time……

Cramped into Oxford Circus tube station, 4 to 5 people deep, sweating from the heat and my own natural panic of so many people, the thought of just turning back and not going to Welling crossed my mind. It was cold, I was tired and my room still needed sorted out – all the reasons and excuses I could ever want to be honest!

This is what the Colin of previous years would of done though, the new improved 2008 model is a bit more single minded thankfully! After waiting for the third tube I happily popped myself on and continued on my weekly adventure! Easy!

So, I guess you’re all wondering what I learnt last night? Well we covered a couple of issues. Firstly how to use your assistant referees and what they are responsible for. Secondly, how to position yourself on the field of play so that you can see as much as possible, keep up with play and predict how play will run. All really interesting and has got me thinking on a couple of ideas which I will hopefully develop over the next few weeks and put into words!

Just as a little side note – Portsmouth versues AC Milan tonight!!!!!! One to remember as I don’t think it will be happening again any time soon. For some reason I fancy the blues to sneak a win here by the odd goal. Let’s say 2-1 with Distin scoring the winner.

No comments: